Scroll Down Scroll Up
HOME / people living with dementia / Coming to terms with dementia / 2.6 Help for depression and anxiety
help with symptoms

2.6 Help for depression and anxiety

Depression and anxiety are common in people with dementia

To get professional support for depression or anxiety:

  • Talk to your family doctor or nurse practitioner about how you are feeling.  They may refer you for counselling. Then you can talk to a psychologist, which may be covered if you have private health insurance or if you can afford to pay out of pocket. When talking to your doctor, you can ask about finding a psychologist with experience working with people with dementia or at least with experience in working with older adults.
  • If you are employed, check if your employer offers an Employee Assistance Program that includes counselling support.
  • Medications can also help with depression and anxiety, though they are not always effective in people with dementia. Talk to your doctor if you want to learn more about how medication could help you feel better

Click here to access a PDF file from the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH). 

Get support early

  • Contact your local Alzheimer’s Society
    The staff will listen to you and help to point you in the right direction. Some local societies offer free counselling. 
  • Talk to your doctor
    Talk to your family doctor about how you are feeling and ask for a referral for counselling. You can also ask about whether medications might help you.  
  • Access your Employee Assistance Program
    Check with your employer to see if you have access to an Employee Assistance Program that offers counselling support