House cleaning, gardening, and home repairs
If you can afford them, hiring individuals to help with cleaning, gardening, and home repairs can help you maintain your home and garden. These individuals can do jobs that might be difficult or dangerous for you such as making beds, cleaning blinds, and mowing lawns.
- Private cleaners cost around $25 to $50 per hour.
- Private gardeners may cost $25 to $100 an hour depending on what you need them to do.
- Private home repair workers charge between $40 and $100 an hour. To find a private service, ask your neighbours, friends, and family for recommendations.
- Private services are often advertised in the local newspaper, through letterbox drops, and online.
For more information on help at home services, read the section: 5.3 Plan to use services
Ask your doctor
- Ask for a referral to an occupational therapist
Modify your home
- With the help of an occupational therapist, make changes to your home to support your independence
Look into services
- Get private or government funded services to help at home
Try some strategies
- Write down and try some strategies
Go to the next section on Supporting health and wellbeing
Return to the home page for people living with dementia